Here’s how to make a pleasing book with an inner section that you can use for illustration, or contrast, commentary or hidden thoughts.
You will need a rectangular sheet of paper -A4 or US letter is fine. If you want to add hard covers, you will also need some thin card.
- Place the paper in landscape position. Fold in half, folding the bottom edge to the top.
- Open and fold in half widthwise.
- Fold the upper open edge to the fold.
- Turn the paper over. Fold the other open edge to the fold.
- Open the paper out. Place it in front of you in landscape position. The vertical centre fold should be a valley fold.
- Cut up from the bottom edge, along the middle fold, to the centre mark.
- Cut across the horizontal centre fold making the top of a T at the top of the vertical cut.
- Turn the paper through 180 degrees so that the T-cut is upside-down. Fold down the top half of the paper, top edge to bottom edge
- Open the two flaps like cupboard doors.
- Refold mountain and valley folds so that there is a mountain fold at the centre. The two outside folds should be valley folds.
- Fold the book closed, accordion style.
- If you wish you can add thin card to the front and back pages to create a hard cover.