I wonder whether you made a list of names yesterday? If you did, choose one to be the name of a character you will write about. If you didn’t, and even if you did, make up a name now -even make up a list to choose from.
Once you have your character’s name sit down to answer some questions. Imagine you are that character and write in the first person; as if you were the character.
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Do you live alone or with others?
- Do you have any pets?
- What do you have in your pocket?
- Where did you sleep last night?
- What is your most treasured possession?
- What is your favourite smell?
- What would you love to do that you haven’t done yet?
- What do you most fear?
- Who was the last person to say they loved you?
- What is your greatest talent?
Lots of writers have questions for their characters. It helps them get to know them and think about how they will behave in the story. You can keep asking your character more questions, if you like. Some writers keep a record of all their characters and their answers. It really helps you think about what your characters will do.